Building regulations

About us Building regulations

Building regulations for your garden room

Compliance is not required if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres. If the floor area of the Outdoor Room is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials. In all cases, building regulations do not apply only if the building does not contain any sleeping accommodation.

For buildings between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, we can, upon request and at additional cost, include special fire proofing layers in our walls, providing you with a substantially non-combustible structure, which in turn, will allow you to position your Outdoor Room less than one metre from your boundary, saving you valuable space within your garden.

Part P of the Building Regulations was introduced by government in 2005. People carrying out electrical work in homes and gardens in England and Wales should follow the requirements set out in Part P of the Building Regulations to ensure that they are complying with the law. Our Electrician will carry out a Part P compliance test, the certificate will be included in the document pack that is issued to you on receipt of your final payment.

If you choose to install a bathroom in your Outdoor Room this may require a new below ground drainage system to be installed to deal with the foul waste. Although the building itself may be exempt from Building Regulation the new drain may need to comply. In such cases, we can upon request apply to the local authority on your behalf and deal with the site inspection etc, with the local Building Officer, to ensure compliance.

Disclaimer: This guidance relates to the planning and building regulation regime for England. Policy in other parts of the UK may differ. The above is intended for information purpose only and is not a definitive source of legal information. Compliance with planning and building regulations is the responsibility of the householder and we strongly recommend that you contact your Local Authority.